Shepherd’s pie is a classic British dish which pretty much everyone has their own way of making.
Today we bring the shepherd’s pie recipe to a whole new level by baking it with Figo Spring Roll pastry cups. A simple twist that gives you an extremely crunchy crust with mouth-watering pie filling topped with melted cheddar cheese.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the pie filling:
|300 g||minced lamb|
|1 tbsp||plain flour|
|½ cup||onions, chopped|
|2 cloves||garlic, chopped|
|¼ stalk||celery, finely diced|
|¼ cup||tomato puree|
|2 tsp||tomato paste|
|½ cup||water or chicken stock|
|1 tsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|2 tsp||mixed dried herbs|
|¼ cup||frozen mixed vegetables|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|½ packet||Figo spring roll pastry|
|Oil to grease the muffin pan|
|Handful grated cheddar cheese|
|Handful of fresh parsley|
|Baked Figo spring roll pastry, cut into small strips|
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat up some oil in a frying pan. Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant. Stir in the carrots, celery and minced lamb and cook well. Add the flour and cook till combined.
- Add the water or stock, tomato puree, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and herbs, mix well. Let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly. Add in the frozen mixed vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Grease the muffin pan with some oil.
- To make popiah cup, lay one layer of spring roll pastry, brush some oil on the pastry and lay another layer of spring roll pastry in a way that the corners are not on top of each other. Repeat one more layer.
- Place the filling into the popiah cups. Top with cheddar cheese. Repeat this for all the mini shepherd's pies.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until brown and crispy. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and baked Figo spring roll pastry strips.
To find out more about QL Figo Foods products and where to buy them, click here