This chocolate cake recipe is a real gem. Decadent is the word that best describes it. And to top off the decadence, the cake is sandwiched and topped with a rich layer of dark chocolate ganache, made using good quality dark chocolate and cream. Yes indeed, this is a chocolate cake recipe straight from the top shelf.
Best of all: it’s easy to make. You can whip this cake up with just a few ingredients that are readily available from the supermarket. And using QL Omega eggs, the cholesterol content is only 50% of standard eggs, so that you can eat with ease. When you bring this cake to the table the mouths of your guests will drop in awe. Definitely a sight to behold!
You can decorate the cake with anything you like, from toasted almond nibs or flakes to chocolate curls and fresh fruits. Serve it as a dessert after meals or as an afternoon treat to go along with your favourite coffee. Let our photos do the talking, while your palate offers the judgment of taste.
|100 g||all purpose or plain flour|
|50 g||dark cocoa powder|
|1/2 tsp||baking powder|
|1/2 tsp||baking soda|
|180 g||unsalted butter, softened at room temperature|
|150 g||caster sugar|
|2||QL Omega eggs|
|1 tsp||vanilla essence/extract|
For chocolate ganache:
|200 ml||whipping cream|
|200 g||good quality dark chocolate (preferably 60% cocoa solids), chopped into small pieces|
- Line an 8-inch round cake tin with parchment or baking paper.
- Sift together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- Beat butter and caster sugar until smooth and well combined.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla essence.
- Add milk and flour mixture alternately. Beat until batter is well mixed.
- Pour batter into baking tin. Bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 40 – 45 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack. Turn out the cakes and remove the parchment/baking paper lining.
- While the cake is being baked in the oven, make the chocolate ganache. Heat whipping cream in a saucepan on medium heat until boiling. Pour hot cream into chopped dark chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl and stir briskly with a wooden spatula.
- Continue to stir until the dark chocolate pieces are fully melted. If the chocolate pieces do not melt completely, move the heat-proof bowl to a saucepan with hot simmering water and keep stirring until the chocolate is completely dissolved and creamy.
- Chill the ganache in the refrigerator for 20 – 30 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Spread the ganache on the cooled cake, or slice the cake into two layers and sandwich with the chocolate ganache and spread on the top of the cake.
- Decorate with chocolate curls, toasted almond nibs/flakes or fruits before serving. Serve with coffee.
QL Kitchen Tips:
This moist chocolate cake can be kept in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Leave the cake for 30 minutes at room temperature after removing from the fridge before serving.