This beautiful multi-colour cake was invented by the people of Sarawak sometime in the 1980s. It’s slowly been growing in popularity in Peninsular Malaysia ever since. Distinct for its richness and fragrance, the Sarawak layer cake recipe can be a challenge, especially because the chef needs to work with individual layers.
Following a full Sarawak layer cake recipe at home can be time consuming, mostly because each individual layer must be browned. But don’t be put off; this is a basic version and not too difficult to make. Plus you’ll have lots of fun adding different colours, raisins, prunes or chocolate chops to give the basic recipe a special twist.
You will need lots of eggs for this recipe, so be sure to use QL Omega, which are low in cholesterol compared to regular eggs and enriched with omega-3. Free from synthetic colours, and supplemented with DHA, they taste great, too!
|460 g||unsalted butter|
|3 tbsp||condensed milk|
|180 g||cheese spread|
|2 tbsp||golden syrup|
|120 g||plain flour, sifted|
|6||QL Omega egg whites|
|26||QL Omega egg yolks|
|250 g||castor sugar|
- Beat unsalted butter, condensed milk, cheese spread, salt, golden syrup. Fold in flour, stir well.
- Beat QL Omega egg whites, QL Omega egg yolks, castor sugar, ovalette until thick. Mix into mixture from Step 1 and mix well.
- Divide into 16 parts.
- Grease and line a 9 inch square square tin with parchment or cake paper. Pour in one part of mixture, level it. Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C with upper heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the cake tin from oven, press and level all four corners of the baked layer.
- Pour in another 1 part of mixture, level it and bake until golden brown. Repeat layering and pressing until all the mixture is finished.
- Remove, transfer cake to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, remove the parchment paper and slice to serve.
QL Kitchen Tips:
- Don’t waste the excess egg whites! Use them for other baking recipes like delicious Biscotti….yum!
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.