This week we bring to you another sweet egg-based sauce – the fragrantly alluring custard sauce to pair with the Oh-so delicious warmly served bread pudding!
This custard sauce is so easy to make, dummy proof and is ready in 5 minutes. Using only five ingredients, this creamy sweet sauce with a delightful aroma of vanilla and milk infused together tops the bread pudding to give it an unforgettable taste.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Bread pudding (A)
|200 g||sandwich bread, crust removed and each piece cut into 4 smaller pieces|
|100 g||butter, softened at room temperature|
|350 g||milk (full cream or fresh)|
|4||QL Omega eggs|
|100 g||sugar (caster or fine granulated)|
|½ tsp||ground cinnamon|
Custard sauce (B)
|250 ml||milk (approximately 1 cup) (full cream or fresh)|
|1||QL Omega egg yolk|
|2 tbsp||sugar (caster or fine granulated)|
|¼ tsp||corn starch|
|1 tsp||vanilla essence/extract|
- Using a butter knife, spread softened butter on both sides of each bread piece.
- Fold and arrange bread pieces spread with butter in a rectangular/square baking tin or 6 ramekins.
- Arrange raisins in between the bread slices. Leave some to scatter on top.
- Warm milk in a saucepan over medium low heat until you see bubbles on the side of the saucepan (not too hot or it will scramble the eggs later), turn off heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with sugar with a wire whisk until well combined.
- Pour in warm milk slowly into the egg mixture while whisking, stir well.
- Sieve the mixture into a measuring jug to remove eggy bits.
- Pour egg mixture into ramekins/baking tray until almost full. Scatter remaining raisins, sprinkle ground cinnamon and cut about ½ teaspoon butter on the top of the bread puddings.
- Arrange the ramekins or baking tin in a roasting pan or a heat-proof tray. Pour hot water into the roasting pan/heat-proof tray until almost half the height of the ramekins/baking tin.
- Bake in a preheated 170 C oven in the middle rack for about 45 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, serve immediately with warm custard sauce.
- When the bread pudding is almost done, make the custard sauce. (Refer to ingredients in (B))
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan on medium low heat for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat when small bubbles appear on the side of the saucepan.
- In another small saucepan, whisk the egg yolk with sugar and cornstarch over medium-low heat.
- Pour in warm milk while whisking constantly with a wire whisk, until the mixture thickens and resembles the consistency of thick cream. Do not boil the mixture or simmer or the eggs may scramble.
- Turn off heat, stir in vanilla essence/extract. Pour the custard sauce into a milk decanter or jug.
QL Kitchen Tips:
- You can also serve the bread pudding warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Chill leftover bread pudding in the refrigerator and warm up in the oven before serving.
- You can chill leftover custard sauce in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 2 days, just warm up in microwave before serving.
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.