Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Homemade Kaya Filling (Coconut Milk Jam):
|3||QL Omega Eggs|
|200 ml||fresh coconut milk|
|200 g||castor sugar|
|4 tbsp||sugar + bit of water|
|2||pandan leaves, knotted|
For Water Dough:
|70 g||bread flour|
|70 g||plain flour|
For Oil Dough:
|70 g||cake flour|
|2||QL Omega Egg Yolks, beaten for egg wash|
- In a mixing bowl, whisk all the ingredients except the pandan leaves until the sugar has dissolved.
- Sieve the egg mixture into a heatproof bowl. Then, add in the pandan leaves.
- Cook the egg mixture with double boil method on low heat, gently stir the mixture until the it has thickened. Must stir constantly.
- In a separate frying pan, add in 4 tbsp sugar with water and cook on low heat without stirring until the golden caramel is formed. Need to be cautious as the caramel will burns easily.
- Add the caramel into the kaya and mix well.
- Once the kaya has cooled, store in a jar and refrigerate.
- To make water dough, in a mixing bowl mix in the flours, sugar and shortening. Then, slowly add in water and knead slowly to form a dough. Cover the dough in mixing bowl and place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- To make oil dough, in a mixing bowl mix in cake flour and shortening together and knead to form a dough.
- Both texture of the dough should be having same pliability.
- Divide the doughs into 6 equal pieces.
- Wrap each oil dough with water dough. Form into a round shape, flatten it down then roll into a mini Swiss roll shape, repeat the step twice.
- Roll out the dough into an oval shape about 6” in length and 4” in width.
- Place a helpful of kaya on one half of the dough, then fold the other half of dough over.
- Crimp the sides of the dough to seal it together.
- Place the kaya puffs on a baking tray and egg wash the top of the puffs.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
QL Chef’s Tips:
- To make mini puffs, divide the doughs into 12 pieces.
- To make a pandan kaya, blend 5 pandan leaves with 50 ml water and add the extract into the egg mixture.