Preparation time: 2 hour
Cooking time: 1 hour
Makes: three 5-inch tarts
|1¼ cup||plain flour, plus more for dusting|
|110 g||cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes|
|1||QL Omega egg yolk|
|2||QL Omega egg yolk|
|2 tbsp||heavy cream|
|4 tbsp||sour cream|
|3 tbsp||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|⅛ tsp||ground black pepper|
|⅛ tsp||dried Italian herbs|
|Zest of 1 lemon|
Roast Vegetable Roulade:
|2||large carrot, remove skin|
|1||large green zucchini, skin on|
|1||large yellow zucchini, skin on|
|1||large brinjal, skin on|
|3 tbsp||olive oil|
|1½||dried Italian herbs|
|½ tsp||ground black pepper|
|6||frozen puff pastry until butter, softened|
|½ cup||flour, for dusting|
|2 tbsp||butter, softened|
- Lets first prepare the tart shell. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Add cold butter cubes, and use your fingers to pinch and mix the cold butter into the flour mixture, until it resembles the texture of coarse breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and mix until dough comes together.
- Wrap dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Lightly dust a large piece of parchment paper with flour. Place dough onto floured surface and dust a little more flour over the top before rolling out the dough in between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 3 circles and press dough into 3 5-inch tart pans. Prick the base of the dough with a fork. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for another 20 minutes.
- Blind bake the tart shells for 20 minutes. Line the chilled dough with parchment paper and fill the inside with pie weights or beans and bake until the edges just begin to brown. Remove the pie weights in the last 5 minutes. Tart shells should look pale in colour but dry, without wet patches of raw dough. Continue blind baking in 3 - 5 minutes increment if necessary.
- Once done, remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Clean and slice vegetable lengthways (into ribbons) using a peeler.
- Take one slice of any vegetable and roll into a tight circle. Wrap with another vegetable slice and repeat until you have a circle that is approximately 4 inches in diameter. Use dry pasta to secure vegetables in place. Repeat and make another 2 vegetable spirals.
- Place vegetable spirals on a baking tray, lined with aluminium foil. Drizzle over olive oil, sprinkle with Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Roast vegetables for 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 200°C.
- Once done, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To prepare the custard, mix all the custard ingredients into a bowl until well combined.
- Fill tart shells with custard until 3/4 full. Carefully, place roast vegetable spirals into each tart shell. Bake again at 170°C. for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the tart shell is golden brown and the custard has set.
- Cool tarts on a wire rack before removing from the tart pans.
QL Chef’s Tips:
- Get ahead by pre-baking tart shells and pre-roast vegetable spirals. You can also mix the custard in advance and keep refrigerated.
- Pre-baked tart shells can be kept in airtight containers in cool room temperature for up to 3 days. Roast vegetables can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days.