Yule log is a unique way to carry on the tradition of celebrating Christmas and the winter solstice by burning a wooden log in the hearth.
This Christmas Yule Log recipe is a deliciously light and moist chocolate sponge cake filled with chocolate whipped cream, rolled into a cylinder, and dusted with powdered sugar to simulate snow. Resembling a chocolate Swiss roll, the yule log is decorated to look like a fallen festive log. It’s a chocoholic’s dream!
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For chocolate sponge (A):
|100 g||QL Deli Fresh egg yolk|
|30 g||cooking oil|
|85 g||plain flour|
|15 g||cocoa powder|
|1||QL Deli Fresh whole egg|
|Pinch of salt|
For chocolate sponge (B):
|170 g||QL Deli Fresh egg white|
|2 g||cream of tartar|
|110 g||fine sugar|
For cream filling:
|1 tbsp||icing sugar|
|1/2 tsp||vanilla essence|
|100 g||fresh cream, cold|
|20 g||cocoa powder, sifted|
|Fresh red berries|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a big bowl, beat together QL Deli Fresh egg yolk and cooking oil. Then add in milk.
- Add in sifted flour, cocoa powder and salt, followed by QL Deli Fresh egg and mix well.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the QL Deli Fresh egg white until foamy. Gradually add in sugar and cream of tartar, continuously whisk until soft peak.
- Fold one third of (B) into (A) and mix well, then fold the rest until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the tray and give the tray a good tap to smooth the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the cake is just set.
- To make the cream filling, beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence until stiff peaks form.
- When cake is done, give it a couple of good taps. Slide it off the pan and let it cool on a cooling rack.
- When the cake is cooled, place another piece of parchment paper over the cake and turn the cake over. Carefully peel off the parchment paper that was baking with the cake.
- Put a layer of cream filling on the cake, top with fruit filling and roll the long side up.
- Let the cake cool in the chiller for at least an hour.
- To make the cream topping, whip fresh cream with cocoa powder until stiff peak forms. Transfer cake out from the chiller and spread the log cake with cream by using an icing spatula. Dust the log cake with cocoa powder and snow sugar.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries, blackberries, red berries and mint leaves. To be chilled and sliced to serve.
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.