The combination of ginger and cinnamon makes a cookie that is as fragrant as it is delicious.
In this Gingerbread Cookie recipe we have used QL Deli Fresh eggs, giving the cookies a little boost of health. With 40% less cholesterol than ordinary eggs you can afford to reach for an extra cookie (or three)!
Basic Gingerbread Dough:
|88 g||plain flour|
|1/8 tsp||baking soda|
|Pinch of salt|
|1 tsp||ground ginger|
|½ tsp||ground cinnamon|
|33 g||unsalted butter, cut in pieces|
|38 g||brown sugar|
|½ tbsp||golden syrup|
|½ tbsp||black treacle|
|½||QL Deli Fresh egg yolk, beaten|
|30 g||QL Deli Fresh egg white|
|160 - 180 g||icing Sugar, sifted|
|A drop of coloring|
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In another bowl, mix together brown sugar, golden syrup, black treacle, milk and egg yolk. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until firm dough is formed. Knead lightly, wrap and chill for 30 minutes before shaping.
- Preheat oven to 180C. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until cookies are done. Remove and cool on wire racks. Decorate with coloured royal icing.
- For Icing: Place egg white in a bowl. Gradually add in icing sugar and whisk till sugar is incorporated and mixture is stiff and shiny. Add in desired food colouring and mix well. Transfer icing to a pastry bag and pipe as desired.