Preparation time: 2 hour
Chilled time: 8 hour
Cooking time: 20 minutes
|120 ml||water, lukewarm|
|120 ml||milk, lukewarm|
|1 tbsp||instant dry yeast|
|1||QL Omega egg + 1 QL Omega egg yolk|
|60 g||butter, softened|
|A pinch of salt|
|1 - 2 l||oil for deep frying|
- In a mixing bowl, mix ¾ cup of the flour with sugar, milk, water, yeast, QL Omega Egg and salt.
- In a mixer, using the dough hook, knead the dough on low speed until it is well combined.
- Add in softened butter bit by bit until it is all well combined. Add in remaining ¼ cup of the flour bit by bit to form a soft dough ball.
- Knead the dough for about 5-7 minutes until soft, shiny and slightly tacky.
- Remove from the mixer and knead by hand for a few minutes until it becomes a smooth dough ball.
- Place dough in a big lightly oiled bowl and cover properly.
- Proof dough at room temperature until it is has doubled in size (about an hour) or proof in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- For proofing at room temperature, release the air in the dough gently and chill in fridge overnight.
- Place chilled dough on a floured surface and roll it out to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut out 3 to 3 ½ inch diameter doughnuts with a doughnut cutter.
- Place the doughnuts and doughnut holes on a baking tray with parchment paper. Knead the left over dough lightly and let it rest for about 30 minutes. Repeat step 10 until the dough finished.
- Cover the cut doughnuts properly and proof for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, carefully drop in a doughnut. Fry until light golden brown (30-45 seconds) and flip it over. Continue to fry until it turns golden brown.
- Transfer the doughnuts on a wire rack to let it cool.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on the top or dip in chocolate ganache before serving.
QL Chef’s Tips:
- Colour of the doughnut will darken as it cools down hence do not over fry it.
- Overnight proofing will help to develop the flavours of the dough better and easier to handle when it is chilled.
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.