If you’re looking for a Malaysian and nyonya kuih delicacy, Seri Muka sets the standard as a tasty treat that is simple yet elegant. The richness of the pandan top layer is perfectly complemented by the soft and rich glutinous rice making it a perfect dessert or a treat that can be enjoyed anytime of the day. Follow this Kuih Seri Muka recipe and wow your friends and family!
In this example we’ve used QL Omega eggs. QL’s chickens eat specially formulated feed that is low in fat and high in fiber, producing eggs that have 50% less cholesterol than ordinary eggs. Even better, they taste great. Check them out today at your local supermarket.
For Bottom Layer:
|300 g||glutinous rice|
|75 ml||thick coconut milk|
|5 pieces||pandan leaves, knotted|
|1 piece||banana leaf|
For Blue Dye Coloring:
|3 tbsp||hot water|
|6||blue pea flowers|
For Top Layer:
|260 ml||fresh pandan juice (30 pandan leaves)|
|7 tbsp||tapioca flour, sifted|
|5 tbsp||plain flour, sifted|
|220 ml||thick coconut milk|
|3||QL Omega Eggs|
|A pinch of salt|
- To prepare the bottom layer, rinse glutinous rice and soak in water for at least 4 hours.
- Combine coconut milk and salt and mix well. Set aside.
- Bring water in the steamer to a boil and steam glutinous rice over high heat for the first 20minutes, slowly add in the coconut milk mixture and mix well. Steam over high heat for another 10minutes until cooked, remove and fluff the rice.
- Transfer to 8” round mould and use banana leaf to level and press the rice until firm.
- Make the blue dye by adding 3 tablespoons of boiling hot water to the flowers. Wait a minute, then crush the flowers with your hands and massage the color into the water.
- Spoon the blue dye over the rice in random spots. Steam for another 10minutes.
- To prepare the top layer, combine pandan juice with flour. Mix well QL Omega eggs with coconut milk and sugar before adding in the flour mixture. Combine both mixture and mix well. Sieve mixture into a pot.
- Stir the mixture over low heat until thick, then pour onto the glutinous rice. Steam over high heat for 30minutes until cooked. Let it cool, slice to serve.