Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 30-40 pieces
Pie Tee Shells:
|25 g||corn flour|
|55 g||pure rice flour|
|1||QL Omega Egg, lightly beaten|
|Cooking oil for deep frying, about 3-inch deep|
|30 ml||cooking oil|
|150 g||MUSHROOM Imitation Crabstick, shredded|
|5 cloves||garlic, peeled and pounded (small)|
|1 tbsp||preserved soy bean paste (taucu)|
|500 g||turnip, cut into thin strips|
|1 tbsp||light soy sauce|
|¼ tsp||thick soy sauce|
|Salt to taste|
|2 sprigs||coriander leaves (cilantro), chopped|
|Sliced crispy MUSHROOM crabsticks|
|Sambal to serve|
- Sift flour, cornflour and rice flour.
- Add in salt, QL Omega Egg and mix well. Whisk slowly whilst pouring in the water until a smooth batter is formed.
- Strain the batter and leave to rest for an hour.
- Pour cooking oil into small deep pot, make sure that the pie tee mould can be submerged.
- Heat up the oil and submerged the pie tee mould into the oil for 5 minutes, make sure the mould is not overheated.
- Lift the mould up and shake off excess oil, dip the mould into the batter 3/4 way then dip gently into the pot of oil.
- When the shell turns light brown, jiggle the mould lightly to remove from the mould. Fry until it turns golden brown. Repeat the step until the batter is finished.
- Transfer the pie tee shells onto a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Store in an air tight container when cooled down.
- Heat oil in frying pan, sauté garlic until fragrant. Add in preserved soy bean paste and fry until oil surfaces. Add in shredded MUSHROOM Imitation Crabsticks and cook until it changes to golden brown.
- Lower the heat, add in turnip and stir well. Add in water and bring to boil.
- Season well with light soy sauce, thick soy sauce, salt and sugar. Simmer until turnip is soft. Set aside to cool down.
- For garnishing, slice the MUSHROOM Crabsticks and quickly fry it in hot oil until crispy.
- To serve, spoon the fillings into each pie tee case. Garnish with coriander leaves and crispy MUSHROOM Imitation Crabsticks.
- Serve immediately with sambal.
QL Chef’s Tip:
- To make sure that the oil is at the right temperature, dip an unvarnished chopstick into the oil and the oil should bubble around the chopstick, or drip some batter into the oil and it should sink to the bottom before quickly floating to the top again.
To find out more about MUSHROOM products and where to purchase, click here.
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.