The stock of this pumpkin treasure steamboat is made from only 5 ingredients – pumpkin, rice, water, salt and pepper. If you like a more flavourful broth, add in a vegetable or chicken stock cube. Commonly known as pumpkin porridge, this steamboat stock is gaining popularity at the steamboat restaurants. But there is nothing more satisfying than making it at home, if you know that it is actually amazingly easy to make, and delicious to savour.
One thing to be cautious of, you need to stir the stock regularly on low heat, or you may risk your golden yellow stock burning at the bottom of the pot. And if the stock gets too thick, just add extra water to thin it out.
We have picked three Figo products to pair with this delightful pumpkin treasure steamboat stock: Figo Pumpkin Fish Ball, Figo Taro (yam) Fish Ball and Figo Vegie Fried Fish Cake. All three products have no added preservatives, and are made using high quality fish protein (surimi) and real vegetable bits, thus making them the perfect companions to this delicious and nourishing steamboat. Savour the chewy bouncy texture of these fish balls in a flavourful rich and naturally sweet steamboat stock with your favourite fresh mushrooms, meat and vegetables, or if you like, seafood. Definitely a must-serve for the whole family!
For the stock:
|1||medium pumpkin, cut into 2 cm cubes (about 100 – 150 g)|
|100 g||rice, washed|
|Salt & pepper to taste|
|1||vegetable or chicken stock cube (optional)|
|1 packet||Figo Pumpkin Fish Ball (500g)|
|1 packet||Figo Taro Fish Ball (500g)|
|1 packet||Figo Vegie Fried Fish Cake (500g)|
|300 g||chicken breast fillet, sliced into 1 cm thick|
|500 g||medium prawns (cleaned and deveined)|
|500 - 700 g||leafy vegetables of your choice, such as Chinese cabbage, lettuce, bok choy, or spinach|
|1 can||button mushrooms, halved|
|500 g||fresh mushrooms of your choice, such as Shiitake, Shimeji, Enoki or Oyster|
|6 - 8||QL Deli Fresh or QL Omega eggs|
|Noodles of your choice|
- Bring rice and water in a medium stock pot to boil, then reduce to low heat to simmer for about 30 – 45 minutes until rice becomes mushy and porridge like.
- Add in pumpkin cubes and chicken stock cube if using, continue to simmer for another 30 – 45 minutes until pumpkin blends in well with the porridge. Stir every 5 – 10 minutes to prevent the bottom of the pot from being burnt.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour in more water if the broth becomes too thick.
- To serve, pour stock into a steamboat pot and bring to a boil. Add in the steamboat ingredients and bring to a boil again.
- Dish out cooked ingredients with a strainer ladle. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce, fried chopped garlic or shallots, chopped spring onion or other condiments.
- Add in noodles and break the eggs to cook in boiling soup.
To find out more about QL Figo Foods and where to buy them, click here