Vanilla cupcakes are given a new twist with a fresh strawberry surprise at the centre of each cupcake. You’ll be reminded of eating scrummy strawberry shortcake as you bite into these cupcakes, but even better because of the whipped-cream topping!
What’s more, this cupcake recipe is made with our quality QL Omega eggs, produced under strict conditions, and containing 50% less cholesterol than ordinary normal eggs.
Use even-shaped strawberries so that they fit seamlessly into the cut cavity and fill the cupcakes as close to serving time as possible so that they remain fresh and the whipped cream topping still holds its shape.
For the Vanilla Cupcake:
|110 g||cake flour|
|73 g||plain flour|
|1¼ tsp||baking powder|
|140 g||castor sugar|
|130 g||butter, cubed and slightly softened|
|2||QL Omega Eggs|
|¾ tsp||vanilla essence|
|250 ml||whipping cream|
|2 tbsp||icing sugar, sifted|
|A few drops of vanilla essence|
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Sift together the flours and baking powder then combine with the sugar.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle, mix the dry ingredients and the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the QL Omega Eggs one at a time, combining at low speed.
- Slowly pour in the milk and vanilla and beat until the batter is smooth.
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan or use solo paper cups, fill liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake for around 25 minutes or until cupcakes are done. Cool cupcakes before filling.
- When cupcakes are completed cool, hollow out the middle in the shape of the bottom half or two-thirds of a strawberry, Cut the top half or one-third off the top end of a strawberry and fill the cupcake cavity with the strawberry. Repeat with the rest of the cupcakes and strawberries.
- To make the Chantilly cream, whip the cream and icing sugar in the chilled bowl of a mixer (or chill the whisk attachment of the mixer) until soft peaks form. Fold in the vanilla essence.
- Just before serving, pipe a swirl of whipped Chantilly cream or whipped topping over each cupcake.
QL Kitchen Tips
- Can’t get hold of strawberries? Feel free to try any other fruit like blueberries, raspberries…
- This vanilla cupcake recipe is a great way to give something special to your mum on mother’s day!