You know that feeling after a long day at work. You’re hungry but cooking a big meal is the last thing you want to do. Well friends, fried crab sticks fritters are just the ticket. It’s a quick snack to whip up and perfect for munching away while watching TV. Cook enough of them (which is very easy to do) and you’re set for the night.
The secret to good crab sticks fritters is, unsurprisingly, the quality of the crab sticks you use, and the batter. Get those two right and everything else will fall into place. QL MUSHROOM Imitation Crab Sticks are packed with flavour and have a consistency that matches the real thing. You’ll find QL MUSHROOM’s crab sticks at all good retail chains. For the batter mix, just add a dash of ground turmeric, salt, sugar and pepper and it will be seasoned to perfection. Once cooked the batter should be crispy but still slightly chewy. Serve the crab sticks on their own or with dipping sauces like chilli or tomato sauce.
You can customise the fritters with capsicum, spring onion, carrot, onion, peas and whatever else takes your fancy. It’s just a really easy dish to include what works for you.
|2 cup||all purpose flour|
|1||QL Deli Fresh egg, beaten|
|1 tsp||baking powder|
|1/4 tsp||ground turmeric|
|1/2 tsp||salt (or to taste)|
|8||QL MUSHROOM Imitation Crab Stick, cut into small chunks|
|1/2||green capsicum, cut into small cubes|
|1/2||red capsicum, cut into small cubes|
|4 stalks||spring onion, chopped|
|Cooking oil for frying|
- Mix flour, baking powder, ground turmeric, salt, pepper and sugar evenly in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle, pour in beaten egg and water, whisk with a wire whisk to combine well. Add more water to loosen if mixture is too thick.
- Stir in QL MUSHROOM Imitation Crab Stick, green and red capsicum and spring onion into the batter, mix well with a wooden spoon. Leave the mixture aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat up cooking oil in saucepan or wok until almost smoky. To check if the oil is hot enough, dip a wooden chopstick into the oil, bubbles will appear immediately around the tip of the chopstick when the oil is hot enough.
- To get evenly-sized fritters, heat up a small metal ladle in the hot oil for 1 – 2 minutes then pour the batter into the hot ladle, and dip into the hot oil. The fritter will loosen itself from the ladle after being fried for 20 – 30 seconds. Fry for 3 - 4 minutes on medium low heat, turning every now and then until the fritters turn golden brown.
- Remove the fritters from the hot oil with a pair of tongs and drain off the oil with some paper towels.
QL Kitchen Tips
- You can also enhance the flavour by adding ½ teaspoon of ikan bilis seasoning powder/granules to the batter.
- Are you a parent in need of fresh meal ideas? This crab sticks recipe meets all kiddy requirements: crunchy, check; tasty, check; meets colour requirements, check. Fried crab sticks fritters will be a major favourite for years to come.
To find out more about MUSHROOM products and where to purchase, click here.