This simple recipe takes a traditional shortcake (that beautiful cross between a biscuit and a cake) and gives it a fruity twist. We recommend serving it fresh the same day it is baked, with a good dollop of whipped cream and a generous portion of chilled macerated strawberries for the perfect tea time treat.
Good quality eggs are a key ingredient – especially when they can be so healthy! Be sure to choose QL Omega eggs…you can pick up a box at any local supermarket in Malaysia.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 6 - 7 pieces
|250 g||plain flour|
|4 tsp||baking powder|
|70 g||castor sugar|
|110 g||cold butter|
|100 g||whipping cream|
|1 tsp||lemon juice|
|1||medium QL Omega egg (50 g serving size), lightly beaten|
|½ tsp||vanilla essence|
|1||QL Omega egg white (for glazing)|
|40 g||castor sugar|
|1 cup||whipping cream|
|1 tbsp||castor sugar|
|¼ tsp||vanilla essence|
|2 tbsp||icing sugar|
- To make the shortcake, sift together flour and baking powder. Add the sugar and salt, combining well.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture by using fingertips or by pulsing in a food processor.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the whipping cream and lemon juice until smooth and thickened. Combine well with the QL Omega egg and vanilla essence.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 210C.
- Turn the shortcake dough out onto a floured work surface. Sprinkle a little flour over the dough and pat it out to a thickness of 1 inch.
- Cut out rounds of dough using a 2¼-inch to 2½-inch round cutter.
- Place dough onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Glaze the tops with QL Omega egg white.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack.
- To prepare the strawberries, wash and hull the strawberries.
- Cut into thick slices.
- Toss the sugar through the strawberries. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- To prepare the whipped cream, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla essence together until stiff.
- To assemble, split each shortcake in half horizontally and sandwich with strawberries and whipped cream.
- Dust with icing sugar and decorate with additional whipped cream and strawberries.
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.