The last instalment of our steamboat series for this celebrative month features a peppery yet flavourful clear beef broth to pair with our signature Figo Beef Meatballs. It’s a peppery beef broth steamboat delight!
This beef broth steamboat is not commonly found at the steamboat restaurant, but you can easily make it at home with only a few ingredients.
Prepared using beef bones, carrot, white radish (daikon), white peppercorns, star anise and salt, the broth is simmered over low heat for 4 – 5 hours for the beef bones to release their full flavours. The end result is a peppery yet flavourful clear beef broth steamboat that you can pair with meat slices (such as beef, lamb or chicken), fresh mushrooms, and vegetables of your choice. If you like your broth to be richer, add in a chicken or beef stock cube to enhance the sweetness.
The carrots and radish help add natural sweetness to the soup while the star anise adds a delicate aroma and blends in very well with the beef flavour. The addition of Figo Beef Balls to the broth about 30 minutes before turning off the heat also adds to the flavour of the broth. The springy yet juicy texture of Figo Beef Meatballs make them the perfect combination to this steamy peppery steamboat.
For the stock:
|1 kg||beef bones, chopped into medium pieces|
|2||carrot (medium), cut into wedges|
|1||radish (medium), cut into wedges|
|1 tsp||white peppercorns (crushed), or to taste|
|½ tsp||black peppercorns (crushed), or to taste|
|Salt to taste|
|1||beef or chicken stock cube (optional)|
|1 packet||Figo Beef Meatballs (500 g)|
|300 g||lean beef, sliced thinly into 0.5 cm|
|500 – 700 g||leafy vegetables of your choice, such as Chinese cabbage, lettuce, bok choy, or spinach|
|1 can||button mushrooms, halved|
|500 g||fresh mushrooms of your choice, such as Shiitake, Shimeji, Enoki or Oyster|
|4 - 6||QL Deli Fresh or QL Omega eggs|
|Noodles of your choice (such as beehoon, glass noodles)|
- Bring beef bones, carrot, radish, white and black peppercorns, star anise and water in a medium stock pot to boil, then reduce to low heat to simmer for about 3 hours.
- Add in half packet of Figo Beef Meatballs and beef/chicken stock cube (if using) and continue to simmer on low heat for another 1 hour. Season with salt if necessary.
- To serve, pour stock into a steamboat pot, claypot or cast iron hotpot/shabu shabu pot and bring to a boil. Add in the remaining Figo Beef Meatballs and steamboat ingredients and bring to a boil again. If you don’t want the beef slices to be overcooked, add in later.
- Dish out cooked ingredients with a strainer ladle. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce, fried chopped garlic or shallots, chopped spring onion or other condiments.
- Add in noodles and break the eggs to cook in boiling soup.
To find out more about QL Figo Foods and where to buy them, click here
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.