Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
|1 packet||MUSHROOM Curry Fish Ball|
|125 g||lentils (dhall), rinsed until water turns clear|
|1||Bombay onion, chopped|
|2||green chilli, thinly sliced|
|1||knob ginger, approximately 1 cm, thinly sliced|
|2 tsp||cumin seeds|
|½ tsp||turmeric powder|
|1½ tsp||coriander powder|
|Fresh coriander for garnish|
|Salt and black pepper to taste|
Fish Curry (to blend):
|2 tbsp||cooking oil|
|1 tbsp||briyani spices|
|2 cup||Basmathi rice, soaked for 10 minutes|
|½ cup||evaporated milk|
|10 g||chicken stock powder/cube|
|3||pandan leaves, sliced 3 cm pieces|
|A few drops of orange food colouring|
|A few drops of red food colouring|
|¼ cup||almond flakes, toasted|
|A handful of mint leaves|
Nasi Briyani (Dry Spices):
Nasi Briyani (To Blend):
- To prepare the fish curry, place lentils and 900ml of water into a pot and bring to a boil. Skim off any froth that forms on the surface of the mixture with a spoon.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook lentils for 35 - 40 minutes. Cover the pot with a lid, but remember to stir lentils regularly. Add more water if necessary. Cooked lentils should be tender to touch.
- When lentils are cooked, remove the pot from the heat and use a whisk to break down the lentils. Set the lentils aside to cool and thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and fry until fragrant.
- Add onion, green chili and ginger and continue to stir-fry for 4 - 5 minutes. Next, add blended tomato and garlic mixture and stir well to combine.
- Next, add turmeric powder, coriander powder and 100ml of water into the pan. Stir to combine.
- Season to taste and simmer over a medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes, or until oil forms on the surface of the sauce.
- Add cooked lentils and MUSHROOM Curry Fish Balls and stir to combine. Add more water if necessary.
- Bring mixture to a boil until curry fish balls are cooked through. Check the seasoning and finally, garnish with fresh coriander before serving.
- Next, lets prepare the nasi briyani. In a pot, heat oil and ghee over medium heat and sauté dry spices, blended ingredients (onion, shallots, garlic and ginger) and briyani spices until fragrant. Turn off the heat.
- In a rice cooker, add sautéed mixture with rice, water, evaporated milk, chicken stock and pandan leaves. Mix to combine and allow rice to cook.
- Once rice is cooked though, add a few drops of orange and red food colouring. Mix to combine and place the lid back on.
- Garnish nasi briyani with raisins, almond flakes and mint leaves before serving. Serve hot.
To find out more about MUSHROOM products and where to purchase, click here.