Tofu, or bean curd, has a long and delicious history in Asian cuisine. It is also a dish that has lots of variations; each and every one is delicious with its own style. While you normally get your tofu from stores or restaurants, you can also make your own tofu.
This week, we have a smooth and silky homemade spinach tofu recipe for you. It’s easy to make with just some eggs and unsweetened soymilk. Plus, a sauce made of a variety of mushrooms elevates the dish to a fine starter when cooked as individual servings. Try this spinach tofu recipe for 8-9 people.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 - 10 minutes
Servings: 8 - 9
|5||QL Omega eggs (or 3 whole eggs & 3 egg whites)|
|500 g||unsweetened soymilk|
|1 cup||spinach, blanched in hot water and drained well|
|1 tsp||garlic, chopped|
|1 packet||shimeji mushrooms|
|1 packet||enoki mushrooms|
|½ cup||oyster mushrooms|
|2 tbsp||oyster sauce|
|1 tbsp||soy sauce|
|1 tsp||cornflour, mixed with a little water|
|A dash of sesame oil|
|A pinch of salt|
|A pinch of pepper|
- To make the spinach tofu, beat the QL Omega eggs in a bowl. Add in cornflour and whisk until well combined. Stir in soymilk.
- Pass mixture through a fine strainer twice.
- Spread spinach on the bottom of individual glasses or ramekins. Pour in the egg mixture.
- Steam on medium heat for 8 - 10 minutes. Do not over steam or else the sides will curdle.
- To make the mushroom sauce, sauté garlic until fragrant and add in the 3 types of mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, combine oyster sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Cook the mushrooms until soft then add in the sauce mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cornflour mixture.
- Once thickened, pour the mushroom sauce over the tofu. Serve hot.
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.