Let this Marble Butter Cake recipe rekindle childhood memories.
Butter cake is the perfect complement to afternoon tea. Almost everyone has fond childhood memories of eating a piece of butter cake dunked into our favourite chocolate drink or tea. The rich texture combined with the buttery aroma lingers in our mind, taking us down memory lane each time we think of mum’s baking. Who can forget the aroma when the cake is taken out from the oven, while we wait impatiently for it to be served?
Today, QL Kitchen brings back that childhood nostalgia with a rich butter cake recipe that can be made in about an hour. Like most cake recipes, the quality of the eggs is important. Try using our healthy, tasty, low-cholesterol QL Omega eggs, so that you can enjoy your homemade butter cake with a clean conscience.
QL Kitchen’s marble butter cake recipe; a taste of home, a taste of childhood, just the way our mothers made them.
|225 g||butter, softened at room temperature|
|225 g||caster sugar|
|4||QL Omega eggs|
|225 g||self-raising flour|
|1 tsp||vanilla essence/extract|
|2 heaped tbsp||cocoa powder|
Note: This recipe makes 2 small rectangular marble butter cakes (approx. 7 x 3.5 x 2.5 inches) or 1 large round marble butter cake (8 inches diameter). We prefer to divide into two portions so it takes less time for the cakes to cook.
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line two small rectangular loaf tins (approx. 7 x 3.5 x 2.5 inches) with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and caster sugar until well combined. Beat in vanilla extract/essence and eggs one at a time, mix well.
- Mix in flour and 3 tablespoons of milk alternately until well combined. Scoop out half of the mixture into a medium bowl.
- Stir the cocoa powder into the remaining mixture in the mixing bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of milk to loosen the texture. Mix well.
- Use two different spoons to dollop the chocolate and vanilla cake mixes into the tin alternately.
- Use a skewer to swirl around the two mixtures to create marbled patterns.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes in the oven until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool. Remove parchment paper before cutting/storing. The cakes can be kept in an airtight container up to 3 days or 2 – 3 months in the freezer.
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL eggs, click here.