Chocolate soufflé adds drama to the end of any meal. Warm and airy, rich with dark chocolate, and absolutely delicious, the dessert looks like it can take a lot of work but it’s actually quite easy to make.
Test your baking skills and your taste buds with this simple Chocolate Soufflé recipe. You will need quality eggs to get the right consistency, and we recommend QL Omega, which are just right for baking…and they are healthy too! Pick up a pack at your local supermarket.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
|25 g||unsalted butter, softened (for greasing)|
|1 tbsp||finely grated dark chocolate/castor sugar (for coating the ramekins)|
|130 g||dark chocolate, chopped|
|1 tsp||plain flour|
|3||QL Omega egg yolks|
|3||QL Omega egg whites|
|10 g||icing sugar|
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Brush 4 ramekins with the softened butter, using upward strokes from the base to the rim. Chill the dishes for 5 minutes, and coat it with the grated dark chocolate or castor sugar.
- For the pastry cream, melt the dark chocolate and cream over a double boiler.
- Mix cornflour and plain flour with the milk until smooth. Pour into a small pan and slowly bring to the boil. Turn the heat to low and add QL Omega egg yolks and the chocolate cream - stirring continuously until the mixture is smooth and has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the QL Omega egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually start to add in the sugar, whisking well until the mixture becomes a thick and glossy meringue.
- Add one third of the QL Omega egg whites into the chocolate pastry cream mixture and mix well. Then add in the remaining egg white and gently fold into the mixture. Do not over work the mixture or it will become too hard and stiff.
- Fill in the mixture into the ramekins. Scrape off any excess to level the tops. Make collars with parchment paper to extend the heights of the ramekins. Bake soufflés for 15minutes in a water bath, or until well risen. Remove from the oven and dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately.
QL Omega & QL Deli Fresh eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here.