Chinese New Year dinners are upon us! Impress and entertain guests with this seafood dish oozing with steamboat-y goodness.
Pick and choose from a varied assortment of veggies and meat that’s arranged in a crispy yam basket.
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 - 5
|300 g||yam, cut into cubes|
|½ tsp||five spice powder|
|¼ tsp||white pepper|
|5 tbsp||wheat starch|
|t tbsp||boiling water|
|Extra oil for deep frying|
Steamboat Selection Marinade:
|1 tsp||soy sauce|
|½ tsp||white pepper|
Kong Po Filling:
|250 g||MUSHROOM Steamboat Selection 6-in-1|
|20 g||garlic, chopped|
|1||red onion, cut into wedges|
|3||dried chillies, cut into 1-inch lengths|
|40 g||green capsicum|
|2 tbsp||soy sauce|
|1 tbsp||oyster sauce|
|2 tbsp||dark soy sauce|
|2 tbsp||black vinegar|
|60 g||MUSHROOM Sashimi Snow Crab|
|20 g||spring onion, cut into 2-inch lengths|
|30 g||roasted cashew nuts|
|Oil for deep frying|
Crispy Glass Noodles (Garnish):
|50 g||dry glass noodles|
- For the yam basket, steam yam for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Mash the yam with salt, sugar, five spice, white pepper, shortening, wheat starch, boiling water and 2 tbsp oil. Mix well and knead with your hand until the texture is firm.
- Shape into a ring and set aside to cool in the fridge for 1 hour (you can also do this ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge until you need to fry it).
- Heat up the oil for deep frying, and deep fry the yam ring until golden brown, remove slowly and set aside.
- To make the crispy glass noodles, spread and separate the glass noodles a little before bringing them into the same wok of hot oil. They will puff up instantly. Remove and drain on a sieve.
- For the kong po filling, marinate MUSHROOM Steamboat Selection 6-in-1 with the Steamboat Selection marinade of soy sauce, salt, white pepper, oil and cornflour.
- To cook the filling, heat up pan with oil and saute chopped garlic and red onion until fragrant. Add the marinated MUSHROOM Steamboat Selection 6-in-1, dry chillies and green capsicum.
- Add in soy sauce, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, black vinegar and water. Cook until mixture thickens.
- Lastly add in MUSHROOM Sashimi Snow Crab, spring onion and roasted cashew nuts. Toss the ingredients together to heat through.
- Transfer the kong po filling into the centre of the yam ring and serve hot.
To find out more about MUSHROOM products and where to purchase, click here.